Friday, July 9, 2010

It's A Fruit, It's A Fish! 如魚得水

Over the Fourth of July weekend, we went to a potluck party.  I saw this fruit salad presented as a fish from the watermelon website and thought it was so cute and fun that I had to make one to bring over to the party.


It looks simple to make but it actually took longer than I expected.  The instructions are easy to follow.  I didn't have a fruit baller at home, so I traced the shape using a cookie dough scooper to get the imprint of a circle.  Then I used a pumpkin cutter and trace the line of the circle to carve.  I also used the scooper as a fruit baller to scoop out the fruit. There were a lot of juice as I scooped out the watermelon balls. I poured out some of the watermelon juice first before adding the mixed fruit into the hollowed watermelon, that way I could fit more fruit balls and didn't have to worry about over spill the watermelon juice.  The fruit I mixed here were cantaloupe, watermelon, and grapes.

I used the fins to cover the open top and left the toothpicks in, then covered it with saran wrap and left it in the refrigerator.  When I was ready to go to my friend's house, I placed the whole fruit salad in a box to ensure that the fruit salad did not tip over and re-assembled the fins back with the toothpicks when I got to my friend's house.  It was just a cute and fun project if you don't mind the mess and cleaning up afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment