2 lb. ground pork
6 Carrots, peeled and shredded
1 small hicama, peeled and shredded
1 sweet onion, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup vermicelli, cut to short pieces (no need to soak it)
1 cup shrimp, peeled and julian
3 gloves of garlic, paste
Pepper to taste
Canola oil (or safflower oil)
- Squeeze and drain excess liquid of chopped ingredients.
- Add shrimp and garlic into food processor and make a shrimp paste.
- Mix all chopped ingredients together in a big bowl, add pepper, do not add salt.
6. Fold in both ends and make sure they are straight like an envelope, so the egg roll will be even.
7. Roll and seal the end with water. Do not roll it too tight as it may burst while frying.
8. Turn heat to medium low, heat up enough oil to fry egg rolls. Fry at medium low heat until golden brown, turn occassional to make sure they are cooked evenly. Be patient not to rush through it. When the egg rolls are done, allow them to cool off vertically in a coriander with a bowl under to collect the dripping oil. This is the best way to ensure all sides are crunchy when they are cool off.
Boil 4 cups of water and add vermicelli, then stir and separate the vermicelli. Bring to another boil and stir. Turn off heat and let it sit in the pot for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Fluff with chopstick from time to time to make sure it cool offs and does not stick together.
Tips to remember:
No salt is needed to add in the ingredients. Squeeze and drain the excess vegetables juice which would make the egg roll soggy. Olive oil is not a good choice for frying. Use lower temperature to frying. Drain in coriander vertically to keep it crunchy. These can be refrigerated and reheated in a toaster oven.