Vegetable Tortilla Soup
adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (1 pound) package frozen pepper and onion stir fry mix *
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz.) can Contadina organic tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained*
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup black beans, presoaked for 20 minutes to cut down the cooking time
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package frozen roasted kernel corn*
- Some salsa hot sauce
- Home made tortilla chips
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican four cheese blend
- 1 organic avocado - peeled, pitted and diced*
- Some cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the pepper and onion stir fry mix, garlic, and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the roasted kernel corn, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste and green chile peppers. Pour in the broth, black bean and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls over equal amounts of tortilla chips. Top with cheese and avocado. Garnish with cilantro.
- Add some hot sauce if you like spicy hot food.
*All these can be found at Trader Joe's.
- I only used 1 can of green chile peppers because I thought it would be too hot to use 3 cans as mentioned in the original recipe. It wasn't hot at all and I had to add some salsa hot sauce to spice it up.
- I baked the tortilla chips and preferred to eat them with avocado and have soup at the same time.
- I do not have vegetable broth at home,so I used chicken broth. I added the black bean for protein and also because I wanted it to taste like chili soup. Either way, this is a very healthy and delicious soup.