Thursday, April 29, 2010

Low Fat Chicken Pot Pie

I saw this recipe from a local TV show "View from the Bay" and made it on the day I was too busy to cook It's different from the usual way I make my bake-a-meal dish.  I added more vegetable, and it looked and tasted like a chicken pot pie but with less than half of the calories.



Ingredients:

1 Sweet potato
1 Leek
4 Carrots
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
3 Cloves of garlic
2 Cups low sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 Cups chopped chicken breast
1 Red bell pepper1 Cup frozen peas
1 Cup Portobello mushrooms, rinsed and peeled
1 Cup half & half (fat free)*
1 Premade crust
1 Tbsp Dill
1 Tbsp Italian Parsley
1 Tbsp Canola Oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit.
  2. Rinsed and dice all vegetables and chicken.
  3. Heat pan with canola oil.
  4. Add potatoes, leek, and carrots and stir for 5-6 minutes.
  5. Stir in flour and minced garlic.
  6. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 15 minutes.
  7. Pour into a baking ware when it's done.
  8. Roll out the crust and flatten it.  Cut into a few strips.
  9. Place the cut strips on top of the cooked mixture.
  10. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
Notes:

I added more vegetables than the original recipe had called for.  I used non-fat milk instead of half and half.
It's a little sweet for our taste to use sweet potato.  Next time I would use potatoes instead and maybe add some curry powder for a different taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment