For those who would like to learn how to make Chinese soup regularly, these are also staple ingredients to have at home.
South almonds (smaller in size, sweeter taste) on the left, North almonds (bigger in size, bitter taste, only use a few pieces at a time) on the right. They are always used together. Both are actually apricot kernels, not almonds.
1 lb. of lean pork
3 Dates or Figs (dried or fresh is fine)
2 Dried Scallops, soaked
2 tbsp south almonds (Chinese Apricot Kernel, sweet ones = "south apricot kernel")
1 tsp north almonds (Chinese Apricot Kernel, bitter ones = "north apricot kernel")*
3 Pears or Apples, cored and cut into quarters
- Boil half a pot of water.
- Add all the ingredients except pears or apples.
- Bring to boil on high heat, turn down to simmer and boil for 40 minutes.
- Add the cut pears or apples, and continue cooking for another 40 minutes.
- Add salt for taste. Turn off heat and serve everything with soup on a bowl.
*North almonds are actually apricot kernels and are bitter in taste. Never use too much of them. These ingredients can be found in any Chinese store and supermarket.