Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sweet Mung Bean Soup(Dao Shuang)绿豆爽

I was very happy to see this long forgotten dessert when my friend came over to visit with this on her hand.  This is a popular Chinese dessert that sells by the local street vendors in Asia.  When I was a little kid, my dad used to take me to eat this on weekends.   I have not had this for over 30 years.  I was so surprised to hear that this is so easy to make,
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup green mung bean, soaked in cold water for an hour, drained and rinsed
2 pandan leaves, rinsed(optional)
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 you tiao 油條(fried dough fritters)
Thickener:
1/4 cup sweet potatoes flour, 1/4 cup water

Directions:
  1. Soak the mung bean in cold water for an hour. Drain and rinsed.
  2. Steam the mung bean for 20 minutes or until they are cooked.
  3. Add pandan leaves, water and sugar in a pot. Bring to a boil or until sugar is dissolved.
  4. Add steamed mung bean and mix well in low heat.
  5. Slowly stir in the thickener until mixture is thicken.
  6. Serve warm with sliced you tiao.
Note:

I did not have pandan leaves at home, but it still tasted good to me not having it.  The you tiao is a must have when serving this dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment