2 oz. pork, sliced
2 dried scallops
1/2 cup rice, rinsed
5 cups of water or more to preferred consistency
1 green onion, chopped
- Soak dried scallops in cold water.
- Marinate rice with a little oil and salt.*
- Add scallops with 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the rice and bring to a boil. Stir to make sure the rice does not stick to the bottom.**
- Turn heat down to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Marinate pork with a little cornstarch, sesame oil, sugar and salt.
- Add the marinated pork and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Stir until pork is cooked.
- Sprinkle some green onions when ready to serve.
*Congee tastes better when marinating the rice with a little oil and salt first. I did not do that in this case because I wanted to keep the congee less fattening. It is also common practice to omit meat but dried scallops to keep the congee clear of fat.
**Water should be brought to a boil before adding the rice.